Research group: Web Engineering and Library Technology (WELT)
WELT’s color among the KIZI groups is orange or brown (whatever is more readable in the given context). Their combination represents the symbiosis of the freshness and agility of the web engineering world (orange) and long, rooted tradition of the library world (brown).
- February 2016: The annual international XML Prague conference has been held on February 11-13, 2016, with Jirka Kosek as PC Chair.
- November 2015: The book on “Big data and NoSQL databases” (in Czech), co-authored by Jirka Kosek, eventually appeared.
- June 2015: Jiří Hradil defended his PhD project progress on “Software ergonomics and trends of long-term sustainability of user interface” (after first year).
- February 2015: The annual international XML Prague conference has been held on February 13-15, 2015, with Jirka Kosek as PC Chair.
- September 2014: Two new PhD students enrolled and joined the group (both with V. Sklenák as Advisor): Jiří Hradil and Daniel Vodňanský. Jiří will focus on web application ergonomics and Daniel on information-theoretic properties of various web data representations. Note: for the sake of better topic match, Daniel later moved under another advisor, Jiří Ivánek, and is now mainly active in the IIS group.
- June 2014: Dušan Broďáni successfully defended his early PhD project (after first year): “Methodology for introducing the RFID technology to libraries”.
The Web Engineering and Library Technology (WELT) group at KIZI (one of its four workgroups, overarched by the virtual Knowledge Engineering Group) undertakes education, research and standardization related to web and library data processing.. The focal areas of the group currently are:
- Advancement of various XML- and WWW-related standards
- Introduction of new, especially web-based technologies to the library environment
- Web application ergonomics
- Analysis of properties of web data representation formats
Information science and librarianship had been one of the pillar’s of the KIZI predecessor, Department of Scientific and Technical Information, established as early as 1981. Various classification, cataloguing and query systems were exploited within the Department’s educational and practical activities.
In the end of the 90s, the web became a major topic of education, research and standardization. Expertise in web information publishing has been leveraged (by J. Kosek) in numerous standardization groups, such as W3C XML Core WG, W3C XQuery WG, W3C XSLT WG, W3C ITS IG, W3C HTML WG, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34and OASIS. Standardization of multilingual web technologies led to participation in EU projects PSP MultilingualWeb and FP7 LT-Web. Among the software tools developed in this context, the Relaxed validator (for Relax NG with Schematron patters) and the JNVDL library are used by many external parties. The hot topics in XML and web technologies are regularly discussed during the annual XML Prague international conference.
The two areas, web engineering and library technology, are interconnected both topicwise and personally (especially via Dr. Vilém Sklenák, Head of KIZI, who is active in both areas).
Group leaders: Vilém Sklenák, Jirka Kosek.
Other group members (incl. PhD students): Dušan Broďáni, Jiří Hradil, Radek Palovský, Ota Pinkas, Stanislav Vojíř.
Within the University, the WELT group mainly cooperates with
Within the Czech Republic, there is lasting cooperation with the Institute of Information Studies and Librarianship at Charles University, Faculty of Philosophy.
At the international level, the group collaborates with several foreign partners, especially within standardization groups and EU projects.
Selected recent publications
- HRADIL, Jiří, SKLENÁK, Vilém. Mapování barev na typické případy užití ve webové aplikaci [Color Mapping on Common Use-Cases in a Web Application]. Acta Informatica Pragensia [online]. 2015, vol. 4, no. 2, p. 154–173. Text in Czech. ISSN 1805-4951. DOI: 10.18267/j.aip.67. Dostupné také z: http://aip.vse.cz/index.php/aip/article/view/105/82.
- HOLUBOVÁ, Irena, KOSEK, Jiří, MINAŘÍK, Karel, NOVÁK, David. Big Data a NoSQL databáze. 1. vyd. Praha : Grada Publishing, a.s, 2015. 288 s. ISBN 978-80-247-5466-6.
- Kosek J.: ITS 2.0 Validation Techniques. The International Journal of Localisation, 2013, roč. 12, č. 1, s. 56–60. ISSN 1649-2358.
- Filip D., McCance S., Lewis D., Lieske C., Lommel A., Kosek J., Sasaki F., Savourel Y.: Internationalization Tag Set (ITS) Version 2.0. Cambridge : W3C, 2013.
- Kosek J.: Information Technology – Document Schema Definition Languages (DSDL) – Part 11: Schema association. ISO/IEC 19757-11:2011.
Activities of the group are reflected in several courses taught at the University, most notably the Bc level courses:
- 4IZ268 Development of Web Pages (lecturer: J. Kosek)
- 4IZ278 Development of Web Applications (lecturer: J. Kosek)
- 4IZ238 XML – Theory and Practice of Markup Languages (lecturer: J. Kosek)
- 4IZ250 Digital Libraries (lecturer: O. Pinkas)
- 4IZ552 Electronic Typesetting and Publishing (lecturer: V. Sklenák)
There is also a specialized course at the MSc level:
- 4IZ538 Seminar on Advanced XML Topics (lecturer: J. Kosek – and guests)
Further MSc courses are offered in cooperation with lecturers from the Czech Technical University, Faculty of Information Technology
- 4IZ602 Web services and middleware
- 4IZ601 Web 2.0